An Organisational Planning Workshop was held for the Vuasu Board in February 2013, facilitated by Linda Mayoux and Grace Murungi. This half day workshop was attended by all the members of the Vuasu Union Board (currently all-male) and three Vuasu staff. It used GALS tools to produce a vision and strategic plan for Vuasu through:
- Starting with the Same Vision Journey Song
- Pairwise Introduction on expectations of GALS and the workshop
- Soulmate Visioning activity for the Cooperative – what would the board see as the vision for contribution of the cooperative to the community – not just in terms of coffee, but also relationships within households and the community
- Vision Journey introduction by Elisante and explanation of how it can be adapted for organisational planning by Linda.
- Closing Vision Journey Song.
The vision developed by the Board members themselves was very explicit in its aim for gender equality in membership an in representation on the currently all male board. There was very little intervention from Linda or Grace into this discussion.
The Vision Journey developed by the Board in follow-up meetings specifies a timetable for promoting cooperative membership for women. Practical measures include sending personal letters of invitation to wives as well as husbands. And removing any barriers to multiple household memberships in the cooperative.
Since February 2014 there have been nominations and invitations to women members to join the Board.